Tuesday, January 20, 2009

30% say WHA....?!?!?!?


I read a poll in Parenting Magazine last weekend that asked a rather provocative question. Readers, would you would be willing to breastfeed another person's child? Unsurprisingly, the majority of moms said no. But slightly more surprising? Roughly a third said YES! Now, maybe it's because I'm a baby neophyte, but I wouldn't have guessed that was appropriate under any circumstances short of apocalyptic conditions. Yet almost one out of three women said they would. Does anyone else find that somewhat disconcerting? 

I can't imagine this is part of the "mom bonding" I hear so much about...:-/

2 comments:

Debra said...

When is your baby due?
I read everything I got my hands on when I was pregnant with my first son. I stopped reading stuff somewhere along the line 'cause there seemed to be so many things to be cautious about! At that time, there were cautions about microwave ovens and electric blankets. At some point, you just have to stop worrying and try to enjoy life...or live in a bubble and at all costs, don't use a cell phone! :-)

Debra said...

Oh, and wasn't the concept of a "wet nurse" really common among aristocrats? Like Moses' mother coming forward to be a wet nurse for (ironically) her own son when the Pharoah's daughter took him in!