Friday, January 16, 2009

Righteous Indignation? Or hormonal surge?

I would say, for the record, that I don't think I've been all that moody or emotional since getting pregnant. Sure, there's been the occasional melt down. I definitely started crying one day on vacation for no apparent reason. And there have been a few times when I've finished blowing my top only to look at Doug's curious eyes and realize that I totally over-reacted. But a hand full of those over the better part of a year isn't that bad... right?

Or am I totally incapable of gauging? It occurred me to the other day that I once met a woman at about seven months a long and thought she was totally difficult, overly sensitive, territorial, reactive and generally annoying. She had a baby, and came back the nicest person in the world. Total 180. Our friend Josh told us on New Year's Eve that after his wife had their first baby she "mean for an entire year." An entire year! And she acknowledged it now, but at the time I bet she didn't think she was being mean. At the time the mystery prego-terror was making my life difficult I bet she didn't think she was mean. So maybe I'm crazy mean and I'm just unaware? Maybe I'm like The Hulk. Or some emotional amnesiac who turns into a green monster and then loses all sense of self-awareness or perspective, than comes to completely chill on the other side?

Let's hope for Doug and Avery's sake that even if I am a mean pregnant woman (unbeknownst to me) I return to normal shortly after labor. One can hope:-)

No comments: