Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Why I Heart Dr. Wiles



So finding the right OBGYN is obviously of major importance. What I didn't know is how coveted a good one is. I have another pregger friend right now (Patty) who was drilling me for doc details as she's looking for someone new. And another friend of mine (Kristen) who's thinking about babyville and she was asking for recos as well. I found us talking about Girlie Docs the same way we talk about hair dressers: personality and results. That said, I don't want to make it sound like MY fabulous doctor is just a fun baby catcher. He's the real deal. Duke University, Got his MD in 81 (around the same time my mom was doing her own lamaze breathing to push me out:-) He specializes in high risk obstetrics, which seems like a good thing to me. If he can handle the 63 year-old mamas and the women who have been told to just say nooooo to more babies, surely he can handle this run of the mill 27 year old mom. 

We've seen him twice - and I love, love, love how chill he is. I guess everyone looks for different things. Some probably want someone UBER thorough, cautious and conservative. A lot of women I've talked to prefer a female OBGYN for comfort reasons. That's fair. At our first appointment Doug did comment that it was kind of weird watching another man feel up his wife:-), but let's be honest. Those appointments aren't comfortable no matter WHO is doing the probing. So doc gender doesn't make a huge difference to me. What I love about Dr. Wiles is that he's credentialed enough that I'm confident he knows what he's doing. But he's easy going enough that he keeps me from worrying about things. Having a baby could be majorly stressful. There's about a thousand things you can do when you're pregnant (Icy Hot Pads anyone?) to damage the baby. Someone there to tell you those things aren't the end of the world is a welcome voice in the room to me. My boss Katherine tells the story that her mom was asking the nurses to bring an ash tray for her Marlboro's when she was in the delivery room. It was the 70s - they didn't know! And Katherine's about the most amazing person you'll ever meet. So if she turned out okay, surely my picking up Subway one day isn't the end of the world, right? That's my hope anyway:-)

Talked to my mom this weekend and she's pretty convinced that she had three miscarriages in the 80s because the neighbors put pesticides on their rose bushes. Seriously people, life is too short to worry that our neighbors horticulture choices are robbing us of our children. Not to pick on my mom - I just prefer to assume that everything will be fine until it's not. That philosophy has worked out well so far.... 

No comments: