Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Great Expectations

My mother thought the concept of a push present was hilarious. I think our friend Jake found it slightly appalling. I thought it was rather expected. Maybe this is a generational thing, but to me it makes perfect sense (after seeing so many of my close friends go through the experience of pregnancy and birth over the past couple of years) that after almost a year of toiling, growing, aching, pushing and the requisite stretch marks a little gift is in order. 

That said, I didn't want anything extravagant. After all, we've just spent a small fortune preparing for this blessed event and will spend the next 12 weeks (and 20+ years) playing financial catch up as our disposable income goes to daycare and diapers, 529 plans, preschool, tennis lessons, prom dresses, ridiculously expensive auto insurance and so on and so forth. Who can think about jewelry?:-)

My husband can, evidently. On our last pre-baby date night, as we sat rocking on the porch at the Linden Row Inn looking at the sky on a beautiful starry night, he handed me a little blue box. (I never tire of the little blue box. It could have fossilized dinosaur dung behind that white ribbon and I would still think it was magic. Way to brand magic Tiffany). Inside the robin egg box was a tiny envelope with a tiny note that said:

First we had each other.
Then we had Avery.
Now, we have everything.

Tears followed, as I unwrapped a beautiful necklace with a delicate A - a tender reminder of our daughter. I can't wear it, of course, until she's actually arrived. But I know it's something I'll cherish eternally nonetheless. All in all, I'm a very, very lucky girl.

 

2 comments:

Karen said...

So precious, go Doug! And I agree, that blue box is always beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Wow... well done, sir. Well done, indeed.