Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Prego Business Cas

Seven months ago my definition of "business casual" involved a cute skirt from anthropologie, some sort of blazer from banana, some funky heels and jewelry. I'm no Rachel Zoe, but when the occasion arose, I could clean up with the best of them. Entering my third trimester, that's not so much the case. I lost the ability to wear anything from my beloved anthopologie around month 4 (or at least I'm not spending Anthro money on gear I hope to never fit into again post baby), around month 5 my shoes stopped fitting. And last week I went on a business trip wearing black Liz Lang maternity pants, converse all stars and assorted layers of spandex and stretch cotton. This is the new business casual. I'm sure I didn't look at slummy as I felt, but I was utterly depressed by the options before me when I looked in my closet at 4am before my flight. Sure, there are "businessy" maternity clothes that probably would have been an improvement, but for someone who has always taken such delight in fashion... arranging pieces in unexpected combinations to express some sort of feminine communique, pairing full panel pants and whatever sneaker-ish shoes my Professor Klump feet with cooperate their way into is utterly depressing. 

I know this all sound like vanity (sounds like?), but it's worth mentioning how far I've fallen where one of my favorite pastimes is concerned. This is definite motivation to work out starting in March. 

No comments: